Advertisement

FBI raids home of prominent computer scientist who has gone incommunicado

 



A prominent computer scientist who has spent 20 years publishing academic papers on cryptography, privacy, and cybersecurity has gone incommunicado, had his professor profile, email account, and phone number removed by his employer, Indiana University, and had his homes raided by the FBI. No one knows why.


Xiaofeng Wang has a long list of prestigious titles. He was the associate dean for research at Indiana University's Luddy School of Informatics, Computing and Engineering, a fellow at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and a tenured professor at Indiana University at Bloomington. According to his employer, he has served as principal investigator on research projects totaling nearly $23 million over his 21 years there.

He has also co-authored scores of academic papers on a diverse range of research fields, including cryptography, systems security, and data privacy, including the protection of human genomic data. I have personally spoken to him on three occasions for articles here, here, and here.
“None of this is in any way normal”

In recent weeks, Wang's email account, phone number, and profile page at the Luddy School were quietly erased by his employer. Over the same time, Indiana University also removed a profile for his wife, Nianli Ma, who was listed as a Lead Systems Analyst and Programmer at the university's Library Technologies division.

As reported by the Bloomingtonian and later the Herald-Times in Bloomington, a small fleet of unmarked cars driven by government agents descended on the Bloomington home of Wang and Ma on Friday. They spent most of the day going in and out of the house and occasionally transferred boxes from their vehicles. TV station WTHR, meanwhile, reported that a second home owned by Wang and Ma and located in Carmel, Indiana, was also searched. The station said that both a resident and an attorney for the resident were on scene during at least part of the search.

Attempts to locate Wang and Ma have so far been unsuccessful. An Indiana University spokesman didn't answer emailed questions asking if the couple was still employed by the university and why their profile pages, email addresses, and phone numbers had been removed. The spokesman provided the contact information for a spokeswoman at the FBI's field office in Indianapolis. In an email, the spokeswoman wrote: "The FBI conducted court authorized law enforcement activity at homes in Bloomington and Carmel Friday. We have no further comment at this time."

Searches of federal court dockets turned up no documents related to Wang, Ma, or any searches of their residences. The FBI spokeswoman didn't answer questions seeking which US district court issued the warrant and when, and whether either Wang or Ma is being detained by authorities. Justice Department representatives didn't return an email seeking the same information. An email sent to a personal email address belonging to Wang went unanswered at the time this post went live. Their resident status (e.g. US citizens or green card holders) is currently unknown.

Fellow researchers took to social media over the weekend to register their concern over the series of events.

"None of this is in any way normal," Matthew Green, a professor specializing in cryptography at Johns Hopkins University, wrote on Mastodon. He continued: "Has anyone been in contact? I hear he’s been missing for two weeks and his students can’t reach him. How does this not get noticed for two weeks???"

In the same thread, Matt Blaze, a McDevitt professor of computer science and law at Georgetown University, said: "It's hard to imagine what reason there could be for the university to scrub its website as if he never worked there. And while there's a process for removing tenured faculty, it takes more than an afternoon to do it."

Local news outlets reported the agents spent several hours moving boxes in an out of the residences. WTHR provided the following details about the raid on the Carmel home:


Neighbors say the agents announced "FBI, come out!" over a megaphone.

A woman came out of the house holding a phone. A video from a neighbor shows an agent taking that phone from her. She was then questioned in the driveway before agents began searching the home, collecting evidence and taking photos.

A car was pulled out of the garage slightly to allow investigators to access the attic.

The woman left the house before 13News arrived. She returned just after noon accompanied by a lawyer. The group of ten or so investigators left a few minutes later.

The FBI would not say what they were looking for or who is under investigation. A bureau spokesperson issued a statement: “I can confirm we conducted court-authorized activity at the address in Carmel today. We have no further comment at this time.”

Investigators were at the house for about four hours before leaving with several boxes of evidence. 13News rang the doorbell when the agents were gone. A lawyer representing the family who answered the door told us they're not sure yet what the investigation is about.

This post will be updated if new details become available. Anyone with first-hand knowledge of events involving Wang, Ma, or the investigation into either is encouraged to contact me, preferably over Signal at DanArs.82. The email address is: dan.goodin@arstechnica.com.


-- Source: arstechnica.com


মতামতঃ-
ক্রমানুসারে

Advertisement

Popular News

  1. China Punches Back as World Weighs how to Deal with Higher US Tariffs

    BANGKOK (AP) — Countries and industries were scrambling Friday to respond as President Donald Trump…আরও পড়ুন

  2. OpenAI says it’ll release o3 after all, delays GPT-5

    After effectively canceling the consumer launch of its o3 reasoning model in February, OpenAI now s…আরও পড়ুন

  3. Trump Ordered To Pay $7.4 Million After UK Court Ruling

    The High Court in London, the capital of the United Kingdom, has ordered US President Donald Trump …আরও পড়ুন

  4. Trump administration deports 100K illegal migrants since inauguration: report

    The president is on course to fulfill a key campaign promise of carrying out the largest domestic d…আরও পড়ুন

  5. Exclusive: Trump Suggests Elon Musk May Exit Key Position - Insider Sources

    Trump privately indicates Elon Musk could step back from current role: Sources President Donald Trum…আরও পড়ুন

  6. Final Four 2025: Duke's all-time meltdown vs. Houston includes questionable call on Cooper Flagg

    There is absolutely no defending a team that scored only one field goal in the final 10 minutes of …আরও পড়ুন

  7. Trump says he’s ‘very angry’ and ‘pissed off’ at Putin during an NBC News interview

    Trump said in an early-morning phone call that if he believes Russia is at  By Kristen Welker and Megan…আরও পড়ুন

  8. These Hall schools had the most student discipline incidents last year

    ‘It looked very real’: Gainesville first grader brought pellet gun on school bus Ben Anderson The Tim…আরও পড়ুন

  9. Travis Kelce returning to Chiefs after weighing retirement: ‘Can’t go out like that’

    Travis Kelce isn’t going anywhere. The star Chiefs tight end is “for sure” coming back to Kansas Cit…আরও পড়ুন

  10. On page SEO for Blogger

    META TAGS POST URL KEYWORD DENSITY OPTIMIZE IMAGES PROPER HEADING INTERJAL LINKING EXTERNAL LINKING RICH …আরও পড়ুন